Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday, March 15th

Xander is our star student this week and his wish is that he could find eight more quarters to complete his collection. So we thought we could help by beginning a search. He needs the following state quarters: California, Nevada, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Kansas, South Dakota, Utah and Hawaii. If you find any of these state quarters at home please send them in for Xander's collection! Thank you.

Today we learned about our star student. (Keaira)
We had book buddies and I read six books with my buddy. (Caroline)
In science we learned about rocks and we did a rotation to got to different rocks and we went along until we got back to our starting rock. (David)
Today we learned about soft rocks and hard rocks; the hardest rock in the world is a diamond and the softest in the talc. (Paisley)
We had art and we outlined crazy animals. (Anne)
Mrs. Ziegler got to show her childhood rock collection. (Murphy)
One of the rocks Indians use to make weapons is called an arrowhead. (George)
We had a full day! (Zach)
Mrs. Ziegler got a haircut but she wants it even shorter. (Jane)
For math we talked about Venn diagrams. (Jamey)
In phonics and word block we brainstormed a new word family. (Xander)
Our word family is "oa". (Jane)
We had to explain contraction words for morning work. (Caroline)


Question for parents: (please respond with a comment)

What do you know about rocks?

3 comments:

  1. This question is a little broad. I learned a lot about rocks when I took classes in geology and oceanography in college, but I don't think you really want me to write everything I learned. So I'll say this: Xander and I like to go places and look for interesting rocks that we can put in our rock tumbler. A couple years ago we went to the western part of the state and went gem hunting but we didn't find anything valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a lot, actually. It was my father's subspecialty. (He was an international economist who dealt primarily with mining.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck finding 8 more quarters Xander.


    I hope you love mrs.Zigler,I had her last year.I love her.

    sela

    ReplyDelete